Through the eyes, thoughts, and words of Greyland Stonebrow:
Titanfall Campaign | Kyle as DM
I. Session #1 3/13/17
- Festival of Vex, Whitehall Inn, Whitehall Township
- Upon receiving the letter, by raven, from the wizard Felix Blackthorn in which we are regarded at his tower, located at #1 Blackthorn Way, Titanfall City on the last Friday in April.
- Whitehall Inn is attacked by mysterious cultists dressed in dark orange robes and bearing an unusual emblem. Greyland is joined by other in defense of the inn and its innocent patrons.
- Camilla – Sean, Human | Female
- Ithillien – Travis, Wood Elf
- Inovindiil – Ross, Halfling | Female
- Throkk – TJ, Half Orc
- Redfeather – Ryan, Aarakocra
- The cultists retrieve an amulet, a red ruby set in plain leather, from the employee quarters of the inn. One of the bartenders confesses to the group that the amulet, a seer stone amulet, belonged to his grandfather Delgrim Longstride. The amulet allegedly tells the future, once per year, on one specific day, for an eight-hour period, exactly one year in advance. Apparently, Delgrim found the amulet in his field to the northwest, just outside of Oakvale. The bartender pleads for help in recovering the amulet, but, citing business in Titanfall, the group declines.
- Road to Titanfall
- After discussing that they have a common destination, the group warily decides to come together as travelling companions. On the road, they encounter a young boy names Tom crying for help, as his father is being attacked on his farm by a rabid bull.
- After killing the bull, the group learns that animal madness has become all too common of an event. The farmer gives the group some of his homemade bourbon as a token of gratitude, and contracts them to escort a shipment to Titanfall, offering them excess profits as payment.
- Six kegs he means to go to the Never Ends Well
- Four kegs he means to go to the Prancing Pony
- Eight further kegs are at large
- The farmer expects 300 GP total for his wares.
- Advance to Level 2
II.Session #2 3/20/17
- Titanfall City, split by the Kord River, Nestled in the Amber Mts.
- The group arrives in the city by mid-morning and begins seeing to the sale of the farmer’s moonshine. The group follows the early success at the Never Ends Well with some relative disappointment at the somewhat stubborn Prancing Pony. However, following the earlier success form the King’s Cup, the Blind Goblin, and the Queen’s Chamber, the group manages to come away with 117 GP worth of profit.
- Later, at Blackthorn Tower, the group is met by Felix Blackthorn’s gnomish assistant, Mithrillion. At dinner, they are joined by both the gnome and a mysterious child, seemingly eleven or twelve years old, names Alice.
- The pair, along with Blackthorn himself, reveal that the group was summoned here to recover a dangerous apparatus of Mithrillion’s own design, stolen from them by the cultists that the town encountered previously at the Whitehall. The apparatus, a war machine of some sort, was being transported to Cloudharbor, east of Titanfall, at the time of the theft, in a 60’ x 40’ x 50’ crate. The cultists, however, fled west with the device, towards the town of Ravensfoot.
- The trio further inform the group that they were selected due to Alice’s mystical knowledge of both their pasts and their futures, and that she is older than she appears—far older.
- Blackthorn pledges the group 200 GP each on a successful return of the apparatus, advancing them 50 GP each for the journey, on which the group departs the next morning.
- Battle in the Ruins
- Roughly two and a half days into their pursuit, the group tracks the cultists to some ruins in the Amber Mts. Following signs of them into a cavern below, the group engages the cultists and their peculiar kenku allies in combat. The apparatus, or at least a portion of it, appears to be in sight and for the taking.
- #Note: The original theft of the apparatus took place two months prior to the group’s involvement.
III.Session #3 4/3/17
- Battle of the Ruins (Continued)
- After dispatching the remaining cultists, the group interrogates the final cultist to learn that the leader of the cult is named Draxxis Karn.
- Seeing that the cave was not stable, the group makes use of a discovered scroll to shrink the enormous crate to a more manageable size. After escaping the cave, the group finds that the crate is unable to be opened, and are confounded by their own shortsightedness in not preparing a means of transporting the prized cargo back to Titanfall.
IV.Session #4 4/10/17
- On the Road (Eventually)
- Shortly after leaving the cave with his companions, the half-orc, Throkk falls victim to his struggles with medicinal herbs. Unbeknownst to the others, he disappears into the surrounding woods, not to be seen again.
- After some debate, and coping with the loss of their ally, the group decides that it is not a good idea to attempt to travel with a magically shrunken crate, fearing that the spell might expire at any moment and leave them stranded in a potentially busy highway with an immovable, immensely valuable item.
- Redfeather, the winged aarakocra, reluctantly agrees to split from the group and return to Titanfall to secure transport and manpower.
- However, in his absence, the group resolves to gain access to the magically-sealed crate in order to verify its contents. After some effort, and some well-places spellcraft from Camilla, the crate ruptures in a great explosion of magical force that nearly kills the barbarian.
- Rather than the expected “apparatus” of Mithrillion, the newly opened crate was filled with dirt, rocks, and metallic ores… as well as the personal possessions of what seemed to be a very tin, very missing, otherworldly creature. It would seem, the group concluded, that Blackthorn had been less than forthcoming with them.
- Using a newly discovered, ritualistic ability, Greyland attempted to find answers from the nearby creatures of the woods. Hoping something that may have been seen or heard, the barbarian called out and was answered by a trio of deer, who proved to be less than informative.
- However, disaster nearly struck when the Halfling ranger, Inovindiil, killed one of the deer as it was leaving. Enraged, feeling that his promise of safety to the deer had been broken, Greyland attacked the Halfling and a brief scuffle ensued. Camilla and the elf, Ithillien were quick to intervene however, before things could truly get out of hand. Inovindiil handled herself well against the volatile dwarf, giving more than she got.
- In a matter of days, Redfeather returned, followed eventually by an enormous wagon, pulled by a team of oxen, and manned by several teamsters. After loading the now fully-sized crate onto the gigantic contraption, the group began their return trip to Titanfall. It was on the road, of course, that cultists struck again.
- Battle on the Road
- On the way back to Titanfall, the group is once again set upon by a large party of cultists, led by the obviously formidable Draxxis Karn, himself. After demanding the return of the stolen “apparatus,” Karn seems as surprised as any to find that the contents of the crate were not what was thought. After some diplomacy, Draxxis leaves with the bulk of his forces, apparently content to leave the crate with the group. He does, however, leave some behind to deal with the upstart party of adventurers. Not enough, though.
- Return to Titanfall
- The group finds that returning to the city with the enormous crate of dirt, seated upon a gigantic wagon, pulled by a veritable horde of oxen, does not cause nearly the stir among the populace as they would have been thought. The reason for the city’s distraction is apparent, however, as the eyes of the group fall upon the great form in the city conferring with the city’s elders and leadership… one of the titans, himself.
I.Session #5 4/17/17
- In the Presence of Legend
- Joining in with the crowd of spectators in the city square, the group listens in on the conversation between the city leaders and the visiting titan. The council is voicing their concerns about the emergence of a new cult (all too familiar to the group) that seem to be focusing their attention on foretelling the future and unseating the titans themselves. Though the council warns the titan that there is a small, yet growing, vein of resentment towards his people within the city, the titan seems unconcerned. He leaves, assuring the council and citizens of Titanfall that the cult would be dealt with only if necessary.
- Return to Blackthorn’s
- Upon returning to the tower of their deceitful patron, Felix Blackthorn admits to the group that he lied to them about the nature of their quest. Through the offensive mirth of the gnome, Mithrillion, Blackthorn tells the group that the mystery chest that they recovered actually contained his quasit familiar, and had been intended to be captured by the cult all along. It was the wizard’s hope that the familiar would be able to discern the principle lair of the cultists. The group, he conferred, was given the quest as a sort of test to discern their capabilities. Both aspects of the plan worked like a charm.
- Blackthorn tells the band that he intends now to send them against the cult in full, but he does not intend that they should go alone. Citing a debt owed to him, Blackthorn sends the group to the north to the source of the Navid River, south of Stonekeep, to the domain of the silver dragon, Ichyrix.
- Advance to level 4.
- Dead Gnolls.
- It is on the way north, to gain the aid of the great dragon, that the party is set upon by a raiding band of gnolls. The group uses their newfound strength and cunning to dispatch the beasts with relative ease.
I.Session 6 4/24/17
ii. Lady Vash – Ross, Fire Genasi Paladin | Female
- An Old Ally Returns
- Not long after the battle with the gnolls, the group begins to feel as though they are being watched. Soon, much to the amazement of all, they are overtaken by the half-orc druid. Throkk, looking none the worse for wear from his chemical misadventure. Reunited, the group continues their journey by road, crossing over a strong stone bridge spanning the Navid River, flowing through the foothills of the Amber Mts. Soon thereafter, the fateful decision is made to abandon the road in favor of a more direct route. Three nights have passed since the gnolls and the moon is full.
- Tragic Endings
- The peaceful tranquility of the evening, and a beneficial meal provided by the druid, Throkk, are interrupted by the howling of wolves in the distance. Distant, yet growing closer. As the group sets about preparing a defense and calming the horses, the Halfling ranger, Inovindiil, dashes off into the night, perhaps looking to calm the beasts, perhaps looking to seize the offensive.
- As the wolves fall upon her, she fights bravely, killing one and wounding another, before crying out in pain. Horribly, by the time his friends could arrive in support, Inovindiil the ranger was dead.
- As the group rushes into the nightmare scene, they barely have time to register the presence of the displacer beasts among the wolves, as well as an enormous winter wolf. From the beginning, the conflict does not go well for the adventurers, and the aarakocra, Redfeather, also falls to powerful jaws before a vast shape moves into the night sky, blackening the very stars themselves. Miraculously, the silver dragon, Ichyrix had arrived, and the creatures of the night fled before him.
- A Peaceful Interlude
- Ichyrix takes on a human form in order to meet the battered group of survivors. Upon learning that the group had been sent to him by Felix Blackthorn, the dragon responds woefully that, while he does indeed owe Blackthorn a favor, the wizard must come to him to collect it himself. He will not journey with the group to the lair of the mysterious cult.
- However, the dragon does agree to aid the battered party by flying them back to his lair to recover. In the idyllic domain of the silver dragon, the party encounters several interesting and peculiar people. In addition to a pair of elven twins, there’s a human named Ruan and, more exotically, a man of the catfolk species named Kogarün, a fire genasi woman named Avasha Mapennal, and an apparent half orc named Icemane, who emerges from his cabin located at the base of a great waterfall, smoke rising from its chimney. In addition to these, the group also meets the wyrmling of Ichyrix, Lystyrix, who pledges—with his father’s encouragement—to join the party on their journey south.
- Regaining their stamina, the group also learns that they will be joined on their journey by Kogarün, Avasha Mapennal, or “Lady Vash” as she wishes to be called, and the athletically-gifted Ruan. Sadly, Throkk once again takes his leave from the companions. Upset at the deceptions of Blackthorn, Throkk opts instead to journey to the northlands, taking a pilgrimage of sorts among the heart trees.
- As a parting gesture, Icemane performs a ritual to benefit the adventurers, giving them added strength for their journey.
- Advance to level 5
ii. Lady Vash – Ross, Fire Genasi Paladin | Female